Friends made today:
1. Police at the Lupu bridge. I ran there this morning and ended up asking a young officer how to cross to the south of the city by foot. He said I couldn't, and we got into a discussion about the incompetence of bridge architects these days. He wasn't sure if there were any places around to cross over, so he told me to go with him and we jogged over to a police post on the dock to confer with his collegues. They basically laughed and told me it was impossible. Eventually I felt out of place and thanked them and ran away, but in the mean time it was not a bad visit.
2. People at the Yale Club of Shanghai. Many of them are wonderful. I met some older alumni, including one British art seller who was highly critical things in general, but amusing. When I told him I was working at MoCA, he immediately commented, "I don't like that very much", disapproving of the owner and the location of the gallery. Snappy British men can get away with it. A handful of recent alumni were also there. A good group of people to know.
I learned how to poach eggs today! And made a tasty brunch of banana-stuffed french toast, eggs, watermelon and the like. All a product of Will's and my early-morning food exploration.
Other fun things:
1. I now possess a dozen gift certificates each to McDonalds and Starbucks in a meeting to get us "oriented" to Shanghai. Ironic. It was made better by a gift certificate to Element Fresh (arguably the tastiest thing since Swedish Fish) and a pass to the Expo.
2. Given the outrageous numbers of mattresses held between all of us living here, I have vowed to hold a "Bring Your Own Matress" (BYoM) party to celebrate excess and glut. Only bacon and alcohol will be available.
Tomorrow is day one. Let's give this one a go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment